TNOYS’ AmeriCorps Program launched in September 2021 to provide support for young adults ages 18 and over as they transition to adulthood. There is no age cap to apply.
The program connects young adults who have lived expertise with professional development and employment opportunities at TNOYS member organizations across Texas.
Lived experience is defined as someone who has faced homelessness, foster care, juvenile justice, mental health, or involvement in other social service systems. In addition to creating employment opportunities, the program is a unique opportunity for young adults with lived experience to build professional development skills within the systems that impact or have impacted them.
How Young Adults Can Get Involved
TNOYS and our partners are searching for 9 young adults who are interested in serving as AmeriCorps members at 8 nonprofits (called host sites) across Texas. Participants will serve at the following host sites:
- Communities in Schools of the Coastal Bend (Corpus Christi) – One Vacancy Remaining
- Connections Individual and Family Services (New Braunfels) – One Vacancy Remaining
- Harris County Resources for Children and Adults (Houston) – Two Vacancies Remaining
- Positions Filled:
This is a 10-month, paid opportunity that is open to young adults that are 18 and older and have lived expertise in the systems defined above. We encourage you to share this opportunity with young people in your network. Interested applicants can email Director of Partnerships Tiona Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or submit the pre-application.
Job descriptions and application instructions for each host site are on our TNOYS’ Job Bank.
Position Details and Benefits
As a TNOYS AmeriCorps member, each participant will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of other youth and young adults.
AmeriCorps members will support their host sites by providing services to youth to support their transition into adulthood. This will include a focus on preparing youth for employment, improving financial literacy, and professional skill development. As near-peers, AmeriCorps members will use their own lived experience to provide insight to the youth they serve.
Benefits for full-time AmeriCorps members include:
- A total living allowance of $25,500, paid in monthly installments,
- At the completion of service, members also receive a $6,345 education award that can be used for qualified educational expenses,
- Temporary forbearance of qualified student loans,
- Health insurance,
- Childcare (Must apply via AmeriCorps for confirmed eligibility)