There are nearly 10 million young people ages 0-24 in Texas and many are in situations that put them at risk for abuse or neglect, criminal justice system involvement, or homelessness – all of which can be prevented. The mission of Texas Network of Youth Services (TNOYS) is to strengthen, support, and protect critical services for Texas youth and their families to ensure their success. Our members share a vision of Texas where all young people are valued, their strengths are recognized, and they have access to the resources, support, and opportunities they need to lead healthy and fulfilling lives.
Our work is guided by a comprehensive systems change approach:
- Policy – We advocate for public policies and priorities that benefit young people in at-risk situations and their families.
- Practice – Our training and program development services ensure that those on the front lines are fully equipped to meet the complex needs of the youth and families they serve.
- Participation – We work in partnership with young people to demonstrate what youth are capable of when people invest in them.
TNOYS Priority Areas:
We use our unique comprehensive systems change approach to focus in on seven key value areas that research indicates are key to achieving our vision of a healthy future for Texas.
- Prevent problems before they start by investing in proven Prevention and Early Intervention programs that help keep youth safely at home with their parents.
- Address challenging adolescent behaviors appropriately, based on research about adolescent brain development, to get to the root of the problem and prevent recurrence.
- Provide safe, nurturing living arrangements for young people who cannot remain at home with their parents.
- Offer services and supports for young adults who are homeless and on their own.
- Ensure that services for youth are trauma informed and do not inadvertently re-traumatize clients with histories of abuse or neglect.
- Support young people in challenging situations through the transition to adulthood.
- Promote Positive Youth Development and strengths-based principles, and work in partnership with youth.