TNOYS is honored to have awarded $117,500 in grants so far to support schools and community-based organizations in meeting the demand from youth and families who are homeless or in unstable living conditions as a result of Hurricane Harvey as part of its Safety Nets for Students and Families project.
Grants to Increase Capacity
In addition to providing direct training and technical assistance across the Gulf Coast Region, we have been able to directly fund projects at schools and community-based organizations in the Hurricane Harvey-affected regions so that they can build capacity to serve and provide emergency support to homeless youth and families.
We are excited to announce the following grantees:
- Communities in Schools of Southeast Texas – $50,000 to serve Jefferson County by providing direct, intensive case management to homeless students with complex needs in Beaumont, Port Arthur, Nederland and Ehrhart ISDs.
- BCFS Health and Human Services – $50,000 to serve Refugio, Goliad, Kleberg, Nueces, San Patricio, Aransas, and Bee Counties with a mobile case manager, emergency supplies, outreach, and counseling services for homeless youth and families .
As well as the following schools/districts receiving mini grants to support students identified as homeless:
- Hitchcock ISD (Galveston County)- $5,000 to provide clothing and shoes,
- Brush Country Special Education Co-op (multiple counties)- $5,000 to provide assistance with administrative fees, small home and vehicle repairs and mental health services,
- Victoria ISD (Victoria County) – $5,000 to provide food, transportation, utilities, healthcare and housing,
- Santa Fe ISD (Galveston County) – $2,500 to provide food, clothing, transportation, utilities, furniture, healthcare and assistance with administrative fees.
Our funding comes from direct disaster recovery donations and commitments made to the Rebuild Texas Fund are we continuing to consider applications and announce awards throughout early 2019. We look forward to supporting and reporting on the progress of our grantees and project partners throughout 2019 and into 2020.
To learn more – or to request training, support, or see information on grant awards or scheduled events – visit our project web page at: http://tnoys.org/safety-nets-for-students/