For a complete overview of this year’s conference, view the program preview.
Ericka Huggins is a human rights activist, poet, educator, Black Panther leader, and former political prisoner. Her extraordinary life experiences enable her to speak personally and eloquently on issues relating to the physical and emotional well-being of women, children, and youth, whole-being education, over incarceration, and the role of the spiritual practice in sustaining activism and promoting change.
In 1968, at age 18, Huggins became a leader in the Los Angeles Chapter of the Black Panther Party. From 1973-1981, Huggins was Director of the Oakland Community School, a groundbreaking community-run child development center and elementary school founded by the Black Panther Party. In 1976, she became both the first woman and the first Black person to be appointed to the Alameda County Board of Education.
She continues to work with incarcerated youth and adults, and to teach in homes for foster and adopted children and pregnant teens. For the past 20 years, she has also taught relaxation and mindfulness in California youth correctional facilities, public school districts, and community colleges.
Huggins also developed a unique volunteer support program for women and children with HIV in the Tenderloin and Mission districts of San Francisco, as well as citywide programs for the support of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, and questioning youth with HIV/AIDS.
Toshia Shaw, MBA, MSW
Toshia Shaw is a human services professional specializing in behavioral health, holistic mental health, energy-mind-body healing, and social justice. Toshia founded Purple W.I.N.G.S., a trauma-informed mentoring program specifically for commercially sexually exploited youth (CSEY) and adolescent survivors of sex trafficking and violence. Toshia is also CEO of Empress of Om, an energy healing and trauma-informed life coaching company. As the Program Director for the Embracing Project, Toshia operates Las Vegas’ only drop-in center for survivors of CSEY and violence ages 12-21. She is currently in the process of opening a transitional home for CSEY survivors ages 16-21 years old.
Toshia holds a Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, an MBA in Healthcare Administration, and a Master’s degree in Social Work. In her downtime, you can find her leading a hiking meditation in the mountains of NV, AZ, and Utah. She currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Featured Screening: BOYS Documentary
Join us for an exclusive screening of BOYS, a documentary that brings awareness to male survivors of commercial sexual exploitation. Chris and Anna Smith joined forces with Kartal Peel to travel across the United States to film BOYS Documentary and bring validity to the truth that males are survivors of sex trafficking.
Boys Documentary tells the narrative of male sex trafficking through the voices of four brave men and a collection of allies who stand with them in solidarity.
TNOYS’ 38th Annual Conference takes place Thursday, June 10 and Friday, June 11, with pre-conference institutes taking place Tuesday, June 8. The schedule is outlined below:
Tuesday, June 8: Pre-Conference Institutes and Networking
- 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Pre-Conference Institutes (times are approximate)
- Pre-Conference Institute #1: The Equity Chair for Leadership Teams
- Pre-Conference Institute #2: Introduction to Youth Thrive
- Pre-Conference Institute #3: Commercial Sexual Exploitation-Identification Tool (CSE-IT) User Training (Please note: this pre-institute is only open to conference registrants.)
- Pre-Conference Institute #4: Trust-Based Relational Intervention (TBRI)®
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00p.m.: Networking Event
Thursday June 10: Full Conference Day 1
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. Welcome
- 9:15 a.m. – 9:20 a.m. Short Break
- 9:20 a.m. – 10:50 a.m. Workshops
- 10:50 a.m. – 11:10 a.m. Break/ Exhibit Hall
- 11:10 a.m. – 12:05 p.m. Keynote: Ericka Huggins
- 12:05 p.m. – 1:05 p.m. Lunch on Your Own
- 1:05p.m. – 2:35 p.m. Workshops
- 2:35 p.m. – 2:50 p.m. Short Break
- 2:50 p.m. – 3:50 p.m. Workshops
- 3:50 p.m. – 4:10 p.m. Short Break
- 4:10 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. General Session: Screening + Panel Discussion
Friday June 11: Full Conference Day 2
- 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Workshops
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Break/Exhibit Hall
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Workshops
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Lunch on Your Own
- 1:30 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Activity + Keynote
- 2:45 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Short Break
- 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Workshops